Thursday, April 30, 2009

Skagway Snafoos

Well, Tuesday was a very difficult day for me. To begin with, I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to the dogs, Karin or Varan- timing just didn't work out. I definitely shed a tear or two over that (no, I'm not exaggerating; it made me really sad). In the afternoon, Glenn drove me to the airport, said a quick goodbye, and I flew to Juneau, feeling very mopey. It didn't help that I had to sleep in the Juneau airport, which is not overnighter-friendly.

The ferry ride to Skagway the next day did a lot to cheer me up- not only was the perfect warm and sunny and clear, but the route is gorgeous. The water of the Inner Passage is dark green, and pine-forested cliffs come right down to the water. I saw a pod of orca, and lots of sea lions sporting at the surface along the way!

I'm going to skip the long story that goes with my Skagway arrival. Suffice it to say that although I had planned to spend several more days traveling, I ended up ten miles from Skagway, settling into Flag Iris Cabin, where I'll be living in for the season. I made two realizations shortly after walking in. First, the light switch and plug-ins on the walls are there solely for taunt value. Flag Iris has no electricity- somehow I missed that in the fine print. No problem- I can adapt. Second realization. Although I have assisted in building fires, I have never done it myself, and never even touched a wood stove. I have a propane cooking stove, but no propane. And no form of light. And no cell coverage, so no communication with the outside world. I was feeling considerably in over my head.

Another handler gave me a quick lesson in wood stoves, and I managed to get my hand on a candle for the night. Today, I got a ride to town, and supplied myself with propane and an oil lamp. I explored the town- Skagway's heyday was during the yukon gold rush, and these days it's a popular tourist trap, moving thousands of tourists through a day (which, of course, is how I managed to get a job here). Every building looks like something out of an old western. People are friendly and helpful. I wasted some time by taking a walk up one of the surrounding mountains, to a little lake. By the time I got back, the library was open, and I was able to reach my email and blog.

I'm still feeling overwhelmed, and I'm sure it'll get worse when I go back to Dyea (the horse camp where the cabins are), but right now it feels like something I'll quickly get used to. New locations always have some surprise to throw you off. Luckily, these are skills I've been hoping to learn anyway. I'll just have to learn them a trifle quicker than I imagined!

Being suddenly cut off from communication makes me miss everyone more than usual. So to anyone who actually bothers to look at this blog, bear in mind that I AM thinking of you, even though I can't get to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment