Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hovering

I've been trying not to be neglectful, but my post from Talkeetna didn't go through- it was good too. I think you all would have enjoyed it. Lessee, here, what's been going down?
The highlights of Homer were being within fifteen feet of a moose without a fence between us, and then the next morning, looking up to see a bald eagle hovering not ten feet above my head. I was walking along the ridge above the shore, right around dawntime, and the bird was out sporting in the wind. Then, on the bus ride out of Homer, I finally got to see Mt Redoubt, our friendly neighborhood volcano, merrily steaming away.

Talkeetna was next- the hostel there was fantastic, very cozy and filled with friendly people. I always forget how much I enjoy the company of other travel-minded people. See, I find that I spend a lot of my time in sedentary society trying to explain my choices. But hostels are filled with people who take wanderlust for granted- it's very relaxing.
Talkeetna itself is an artsy little town, nestled in the curve of the Alaska Range. It's all birch and pine forest, and consists of little most than one street. Tourist season is just beginning to strike, so it wasn't mobbed yet, which is the way I prefer it.

I came back to Anchorage on Sunday night, and I'm back at Glenn's place, trying to coordinate transportation east, to the panhandle. Somehow I need to get my stuff shipped to Skagway, and some back home, and I'd really like to visit Karin, Varan and the dogs again before I leave! But my transportation is limited- Glenn's already having to pull strings to help me get my boxes to the post office, and he's driving me to the airport as well, so I don't think we can ask much more of him. I may have to be content with a daytime visit to grab the boxes and pet the dogs...

I was surprised at how sad it made me to be relocating once again. It's always just when you get comfy in a place that you have to leave. I'm trying to focus on the positive, though. I go to my new home on Saturday, and until then I'll be parking the bulk of my possessions in Skagway and exploring the panhandle, if all goes according to plan. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment