Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Small and the Scrappy

Yesterday morning I was gazing out the window, and I noticed that one of our resident chipmunk colony was bouncing around among the dead ferns and underbrush. It took me a moment to realize what he was up to- see, we've got all kinds of migrating flocks stopping by to feed on the bushes around the vernal stream. The chipmunk was taking extreme exception to the invaders. I watched him chase away one little brown bird after another, growing increasingly frustrated as they continued to settle down again as soon as another quarry distracted him. He even attacked a cardinal. I have to admit, I was impressed.

I've been reading a book of stories written by a guy who leads safaris in Botswana. Thanks to this guy, I'm now versed in what to do if charged by a cape buffalo, as opposed to a lion. Oh yes, very different defense strategies. And he's introduced a new animal to me, something which lions and rhinos and even hippos fear-- the elephant? No. Hyena? No.... Honey Badger.
Look it up. The honey badger is apparently one of africa's most dangerous animals, partly because when it's cornered, it goes straight for the genitals with its giant, diggy-claws. Hearing this, people tend to think only of the inherent pain and humiliation, but there's also a major artery in the groin, so you'd die pretty quickly. This critter is my new hero and will definitely turn up in my books.

So this is my note of appreciation for small beings that nevertheless make their opinions known and respected- a gift I wish I had. Then again, my size is roughly average. Ah well, I work on being scrappy. I do all right in work situations, but I'm sorry to say I often crumble under social attacks. Working on it. At least the work thing is more important.

In other news, I'm still working on finding a suitable program- these things always seem to go at a snail's pace, until suddenly they kick into overdrive. Meanwhile, I'm making sure to get to the gym. There hasn't been much work this week, perhaps due to the holiday. Ironically, however, I do have work today. Although I'm a little sad not to be joining a family friend for Thanksgiving, I've never been that big on Thanksgiving, and my appetite is kinda dim these days (decongestants- it's an unpleasant side effect that seems to compound itself over time).

A few gym-related comments: first, I very nearly pushed a woman off the machine next to me the other day- heavy perfume to the point where I could taste it on my tongue! Y'don't go to the gym to smell nice, and you certainly don't go to smell like some kind of mutant chemistry experiment! I have a disdain for the women who show up in make-up, push-up bras, and heavy earrings as well, but the perfume-wearers are actually getting in the way of other people's work-outs.
On a more cheerful note, I've discovered that despite occasionally having to wait for lifting machines, I like going to the gym right after typical work hours, when it's most crowded. Better people-watching. People working out are hilarious.

So... does anyone actually read this thing? If so, someone should call me, because my tower's feeling bit isolated lately... Don't make me send a honey badger after you!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm - well, I check up on you infrequently. But that may have something to do with the frequency of posts. These pre-Africa doldrums are bound to be frustrating, but change is always on the horizon. Which horizon? Well that depends a lot on you, but you seem to be well on your way to finding new ones. Patience...

    ReplyDelete