Tuesday, November 24, 2009

No, Amy, right now I'm the Bobblehead

Well, in some ways I'm pulling myself together. Yesterday I had my hair very carefully chopped in half, so that it sits right at my shoulders. Let's hear it for less weight on the brain-case! Continuing in the bodily vein, I've been working out 4-5 times a week, and it's definitely having an effect. I keep trying to get my mom to smack my butt and tell me that it's getting firmer, but for some reason she doesn't want to... maybe it's a generational thing.

I continue to work on flying south for the winter. I think it's funny that everyone's reaction when they hear the word Africa has been either "Why???" or "But there are so many parasites down there!" Yes, yes there are many parasites, and I plan to be one of them!

So here's a bit of insight into the little annoyances and set-backs of a search for volunteer work: In the past few weeks, I've sent two application requests to a research volunteer position, and I've heard diddly-squat. What's more, the website doesn't appear to supply any numbers where I can call and harass them. At that time, this was the only affordable place I had found, and they appear to be incompetent. So I moved on. I paid five dollars to a low-cost volunteering database, and I've been perusing the possibilities. At first glance, there are a lot of them, but when you look closer, there are ways in which they rule themselves out. The price is always a big factor, and you need to read between the lines to figure out whether they actually let volunteers do anything interesting.

And so the quest goes on. Wish me firm muscles and viable africa options.

No comments:

Post a Comment