Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In Which I Show Off My Family's Shorter Members

Zoe the Nissan kidnapped me again last Thursday. This time I found myself down in West Virginia, at Capon Springs, where my father's half of the family gathers periodically. The family consists of a grandmother, an aunt and uncle, two cousins plus spouses, and six children from said cousins, aged 2 through 9.

The visit started with a long stare at the six kids, while I dazedly listened to myself exclaim over how tall they had gotten. You know, you hear that all the time as a kid, and you never realize that the speaker really can't help saying it. These revelations were immediately followed by a double-serving of baked fudge pudding. Which I shall never do again, although it was glorious while it was going down. The trouble starts while it's all trying to fit into your stomach at once.

I spen four days swimming, hiking, and indulging in other outdoor pursuits. Also cards- my grandmother has passed her love of competition through many of her descendents, so in the interests of spending time with her, I allowed myself to be forcibly tied down and re-taught the game of Sheephead (I don't know if you'd deduced this, but I am not a card player by nature).

But they tell me a picture is worth a whole bunch of words. Just below is Kiersten, 5, who is supposed to look like myself and Val. She spent the whole of the bonfire in my lap- never met a stranger, and constantly inquisitive. Next down is her sister Caroline, 2, having a grand old time on the swing, as you can see. Shy at first, then dauntless once she's comfortable. Also, I think she might be psychic. After her is their sister Leisel, 4, a bit more daring on the swing. Leisel never stops smiling, and being so good at it, why would she? The boys are next- Andy, 7, who's the brother of the above girls, and has a knack for well-timed, hilarious statements, and Callan, 9, the family's school and sports prodigy. Callan's sister Kylie is posing with yours truly at the end. She's a brilliant ping pong player and a great singer, if only you could convince her of it. They're a cool bunch. Are we not a well-favored family? Modest too.

No comments:

Post a Comment