Thursday, March 11, 2010

Someday this will all be very funny...

I feel it's only fair to warn you- this is not going to be a peppy entry. This entry is coming from frustration, discouragement, and now a dollop of severe disillusionment coming from a blow to my faith in humankind and my trust in my own instincts that arrived yesterday.

I'm back in Lilongwe now, having found a clean place offering cheap dorm accomodation. The quest for a new plan is ongoing. A few options include a sanctuary in Lilongwe, a sanctuary and research place in Namibia, and what seems most likely, going to my Zimbabwe location a week or so early. The sanctuary in Lilongwe tells me that they do have space, and they have the benefit of being right here, but they are seriously expensive, so I'm not sure about that. We'll see what unfolds.

In going online yesterday, I learned that about half the people I knew in Capetown are not who I thought they were. I've always known my instincts about people were off, but in this case it seems as though my first impressions were actually the accurate ones for a change. It's amazing sometimes just how wrong I can be. About just about anything. So I'm struggling with myself. I'm in a hostel situation here, so there are people to meet, and I've more or less been on my own for two weeks, so I could use the company. But my bruised-up trust impulses want nothing to do with anyone new, I'm over people right now, and have no trust for male people in particular.

Someday this will be funny?

To pull my head out of my own mopey ass for a moment, I need to send a shout-out to my musher Karin, who started her second Iditarod run this past Saturday, and was let down by a sled. You can do everything right sometimes, and circumstances still find a way to stomp down. Karin, my heart is making a kennel visit, to give you and the dogs much-needed hugs (so if they start randomly yelling and squiggling out there, that's why). I'm sorry, I know all of you were in great shape and ready to go.

1 comment:

  1. In the midst of all you are dealing with, thanks for keeping an eye out for me (how do you manage that??). Wish I was out right now, having challenging adventures and uncertainty like you.

    ReplyDelete