Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Can Too

Sometimes I feel like Fate has a plan, like she lines up challenges for me, one by one, and watches to see if I get through them. Yesterday, it felt very much like she and I were having a conversation. It went something like this:
Irene: K, so what's next.
Fate: Well now, lessee here, we've tackled a number of different countries, all kinds of work...
Irene (preening): Why yes, I believe we have.
Fate: Mm-hm... you're feeling kinda smug, aren't you?
Irene: I suppose you could say that. After all, I've learned everything else. I can tackle anything.
Fate: Oh yeah?
Irene: I think so.
Fate: All right, hot stuff.... Cuddle that baby!
Irene (spinning around very fast and gulping): Excuse me, do what to what?
Fate: Babies. Cuddle them. Make them happy.
Irene: I... um.... uh, really?
Fate: What's wrong? Scared of a little baby?

Yes. Yes, babies do alarm me. Specifically, 30-odd babies and toddlers are quite intimidating to me. What are you supposed to do with them? What makes them happy? Why do they always have that vague odor to them? Yesterday I accompanied some of the girls to the baby orphanage and cuddled for three hours straight- with one break to feed a tiny girl named Victorie. After a while, I think I got the hang of the cuddling- the babies are especially easy, because I found that if you simply lie flat on your back on the floor, they'll come over on their own and make themselves comfortable. And if they don't want to sleep, you can fall back on the old classic of bouncing them and humming randomly jouncy tunes.

Nevertheless, I've come to the conclusion that not only does the baby orphanage have more than enough volunteers already, but I'm happier working in the sun for eight hours a day than cuddle for three. At Tumaini, where the older children live, I can do things to improve their quality of life, and still interact with them. This is more satisfying to me.

I'm having some trouble settling in here. I got so used to spending time with males in Capetown that a house full of women and couples is a tad unsettling. I seem to be the only solo traveler here. Also it took me some time to catch my journal up to date, and I haven't really arrived at a new place until I'm satisfied that I won't forget anything from the last one. Today I'm trying harder- I'm joining the Swahili class that Omi, one of the Tanzanian men who help us out at the hostel, teaches, and I'm heading back to Tumaini today to get the new baby chicks settled in. Trying not to be homesick, especially since, in my life, I never know exactly which home I'm sick for. This too shall pass?

Love all you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment