Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A few notes on Capetown

Four days in Capetown can seem very long, and a ridiculous number of things can happen. I'm constantly entertained by my hostel, which is like a tiny little soap opera. Better, in fact, because I never noticed that soaps were anything but predictable, and Backpackers on Castle certainly isn't that.

Capetown is a bustling tourist destination, crawling with souvenirs, cafes and bars. On Sunday, I took a walk down to the waterfront and found myself watching a number of sea lions fishing just near the docks. Their heads would burst out of the water, whipping back and forth to break the neck of their catch, and then they'd dive again to eat it. Several were courting a pair of dock workers who were watching them. I get the distinct impression that some of the dock workers spoil them. One sea lion in particular kept pointedly floating past the workers, belly up, looking as cute as possible, sometimes rubbing at his snout with his flippers to enhance the effect. I found more of them sunning themselves in shameless comfort on a floating boarding dock farther down.

Quite to my own surprise, I've become caught up in the dramas of the hostel. I figure, as long as I am a mere spectator and don't cause drama myself, this can entertain me for the bulk of the week. I continue to get along with all the regulars. Yes, this ornery soul is baffled by the sudden availability of people willing to hang out with her. Yesterday I visited a beach with Marius, one of the regulars, made a stunning sand castle (Castle Ruckus) and was rewarded with a truly impressive sunburn all down my back, arms and legs. Also discovered that the beaches near Boston have warmer water than those near Capetown. The planet makes no sense. I try to get a good exploratory walk in most days, and then hang out with the hostel kids at night.

Oh! I discovered once again that I'm behind on technology. Apparently now when you develop film, you get a digital copy as well as prints, which means of course that my Drakenstein photos can come out sooner than I'd expected. Have a look around some of my recent entries, watch for added photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment