Monday, May 18, 2009

Aftermath

So here's the thing. My life is completely different now. I'm living in the center of Skagway, in a room above an empty store front, and I work a block away, selling jade and ivory to tourists. Fortunately, I love jade, and I know a bit about it, and I'm especially peppy on the subject of the Maori-design carvings. I even know what they mean (as I preen my feathers). A perk and a downside of the job is that we're not allowed to wear our own jewelry. We're required to model the merchandise. Oh yes, poor little me. Let me wipe the tears away.

How did I get here from my last entry? I will say only this- I have a very angry email to write to Alaska Excursions, and I'm beginning to feel that mushers as a group, with the exception of Karin, are arrogant fuckholes.

I moved into the hostel when my life came crashing down, and made friends with the owner, Nancy. She's an awesome person, and was really helpful to me and to some of the other girls coming through who were looking for work. She pointed us in the direction of Shirley and Glenn, who rented us our rooms and are equally cool people. I'm also a big fan of my employers so far. To be honest, I'm really missing building fires in the evening, and even more I miss the dogs and the outdoors. I'm not an indoor cat, by nature. It's hard being inside when the sun is out. But all in all, this is a better situation for me.

To everyone who propped me up this past week, you guys are amazing and I miss you! To everyone who beckoned me back to work for them- you don't even know how tempting it was! My bag would have been packed and my butt on a plane, if my bank account hadn't basically stranded me here! But my heart's down south, with you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment