Saturday, August 8, 2009

Meandering Musings on being back

It's funny how going back to old friends can remind you of who you are. Even though I don't feel that I acted much like myself in North Carolina, it has demonstrated to me that here in Skagway, I've been a mere shadow of my formal self, no confidence at all. So since getting back I've been letting my personality flex its wings again, and it feels good. Skagway is so small that people have nothing to do but create drama, and it takes leaving town to realize how inconsequential these little fracases really are. Rather than worrying about drama that other people are splashing around, I'm content to hang out with the lesser of the dramatic folk, and stare at the mountains and the ocean and remember why I came to Alaska in the first place.

Finding the motivation to sell things has been difficult this week. I always find that after leaving Wolf Park or the people from there, I have a strong "I want to go home" reaction- the Park being home. And yet I know I don't do well when I stay in one place. Well, what is life without its contradictions? My father tells me that contradictions are what make good characters and good books. Anyway, it's hard caring about finding someone a matching set of earrings when secretly, you're thinking more about a wolf's funeral in Indiana.

Also, I've been having funny dreams, related to some life realizations I had down Southways. This makes it hard to focus.

In other news, the quest for an African adventure starts today on the internet. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment